Lucky for us. Les Miserables and Cinderella both derive from tales not completely mentioned in the movie or musical.
(Good to know for character development *wink wink*)
For instance did you know that Gavroche and Eponine are brother and sister? Or that in the original Cinderella the stepsisters tried to cut off their feet with an ax to try and fit in the shoe? So without further ado, I think it’s best to talk about the basics first.
Les Miserables, a book written by Victor Hugo, discusses the era of the French Revolution. BUT did you know that-
- There have been over 60 film adaptations of Les Mis and the musical is in more than 22 different Languages!
- Jean Valjean saves Cosette from the Thenardiers on Christmas Eve (What a Happy Holiday!)
- It took Hugo 33 Years to write Les Miserables (that’s older than Taryn!)
- The singing on the set of the 2012 Movie, With Jackman, Hathaway, and many others happened right then! No audio tracks, nothing! Talk about live theatre!
- The man who wrote Les Mis also wrote The Hunchback of Notre Dame. He seems to really have. heart for the underdog.
Now that we’ve learned so much about the people who sing (bad joke, sorry), it’s time to talk about the little maid from the Brothers Grimm.
- There is not Fairy Godmother, just a hazel tree above her mothers grave that grants wishes.
- The ball is a three day event, and Cinderella got prettier dresses every night.Her slippers were golden, not glass.
- The father isn’t dead, and actually allows the step mother to be cruel to his daughter.
Taryn: Woah wait, Brothers Grimm isn’t the first version.
Lauren: Really? Guess we are both learning something today.
(The actual version since their Director gets to upload these blogs and add her own commentary)
Okay, so actually the very first version ever Cinderella was Italian. It was written by Giambattista Basile, in 1634. It was titled Cenerentola which comes from the Italian word "cenere" meaning ash or cinder. The Grimm version wasn’t written until 1812 way after Basile.
But seriously, this is going to be such an awesome summer! And Stage Right can’t wait to see all of you there and a part of it! - Lauren